About This Place
Cooper Landing, also commonly referred to as Cooper's Landing or The Landing, is a census-designated place (CDP) in Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska, United States, about 160 kilometers south of Anchorage, at the confluence of Kenai Lake and Kenai River. The town was first settled in the 19th century by gold and mineral prospectors, and has become a summer tourist destination thanks to its scenic wilderness location and proximity to the salmon fishing of the Kenai River. As of the 2000 census, the population in Cooper Landing was 369.
Cooper Landing was named for Joseph Cooper, a miner who discovered gold there in 1884. However, Peter Doroshin, a Russian engineer, had identified gold prospects as far back as 1848 when the territory was still part of Russian America.
Cooper Creek was first recorded in 1898 by the U.S. Geological Survey. In 1900, the Census found 21 miners and 1 wife living at Cooper Creek. The Riddiford Post Office began operations in 1924, and the Riddiford School opened in 1928.