About This Place
Seligman (Havasupai: Thavgyalyal) is a census-designated place (CDP) in Yavapai County, Arizona, United States. The population was 456 at the 2000 census.
Between 1889-1891, Seligman was established by the Theut and Moultrie families. Both were prosperous slaughterhouse owners in Southern antebellum families who lost everything in the Civil War and the following Reconstruction periods. They moved West hoping to find a new life in the largely uninhabited territory of Arizona. They took over the area of Seligman Campsite from the Apache Indians.
Seligman is located at 35°19′42″N 112°52′27″W / 35.32833°N 112.87417°W / 35.32833; -112.87417 (35.328199, -112.874303), at 5,240 feet (1,600 m) in elevation, along side the Big Chino Wash, in a north section of Chino Valley; the wash is a major tributary of the Verde River. Seligman was a stage stop on the Mojave Road, and its successor Historic U.S. Route 66.