About This Place
Caspar is a census-designated place in Mendocino County, California. It is located 4 miles (6.4 km) north of Mendocino, at an elevation of 82 feet (25 m). Caspar is located on the Pacific Ocean. In the Caspar area is the historic Point Cabrillo Light Station, which was built in 1909. The population was 509 at the 2010 census.
Caspar was first settled in 1857 by Siegfried Caspar, who later sold the land to Jacob Green Jackson, one of the founders of the Caspar Lumber Company, which turned Caspar into a significant logging town in Northern California from 1864 to 1955. Pilings from the mill can be seen on Caspar Beach, located south of the community.
The first post office at Caspar opened in 1874.