About This Place
Lisbon is a town in Grafton County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 1,595 at the 2010 census. Lisbon hosts an annual "Lilac Festival" on Memorial Day weekend.
The primary settlement in town, where 980 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined as the Lisbon census-designated place (CDP) and is located along U.S. Route 302 and the Ammonoosuc River in the southwestern corner of the town.
Lisbon was first granted in 1763 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth as "Concord". In 1764 the town was renamed "Chiswick", after the Duke of Devonshire's castle, while Rumford in central New Hampshire took the name "Concord" in 1765. In 1768, the town was settled and renamed again, this time to "Gunthwaite", after a relation of Colonial Governor John Wentworth. The name "Lisbon" was selected by Governor Levi Woodbury when it was incorporated in 1824. His friend, Colonel William Jarvis, had been consul at Lisbon, Portugal. The town once included land that is now part of Littleton and Sugar Hill.