About This Place
Brandon is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hillsborough County, Florida, in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the CDP had a total population of 103,483.
Its history began on January 20, 1857, when John Brandon (1809–1886) arrived at Fort Brooke (now Tampa) from Mississippi with his first wife Martha (1813–1867) and six sons. At first he moved his family to what is now the Seffner area. Then in August 1858, John Brandon, purchased 40 acres (160,000 m2) in the New Hope area (now Brandon). and 160 acres (0.65 km2) later on and then named his land Brandon. John and his second wife Victoria's house was located on what would become the corner of Knights and Victoria Street. Four years later, the New Hope Church was built on land donated by Brandon. Besides being the first church in the community, it also served as Brandon's first school.
In 1890, the Florida Central and Peninsula Railroad came through the area, encouraging the people of New Hope to build a depot on Moon Avenue. Charles S. Noble, a Florida Central and Peninsula Railroad engineer, was asked to plat approximately forty acres of land north of present day State Road 60, South of Lake Meade, east of Kings Avenue, and west to Parsons Avenue. Filed on April 24, 1890, the surveyor named the community in honor of John Brandon and Noble Street for himself.