About This Place
Deltona is a city in the central region of the U.S. state of Florida and is the largest city in Volusia County. It is located east of DeBary and north of Lake Monroe. It is the twenty-ninth largest city in Florida, with a 2010 Census population of 85,182. Deltona is a principal city in the Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach metropolitan area, and suburb in the Greater Orlando metropolitan area. It is also a major city in the Fun Coast region of Florida. Within the city is a campus of the Daytona State College, the Fathi Hall building. The city’s economy is largely impacted by state and regional economy, which depends solely on surrounding communities and cities for work, shopping and entertainment. Area employment consists predominantly of service related activities, retail trade, manufacturing, government and construction. The city’s land use is almost entirely residential and over 75 percent is built upon it.
Just before Florida became a state in 1845, nomadic Timucuans were the first inhabitants of southwest Volusia County, who found fish and fresh water plentiful in the area. After Florida gained statehood in the United States, steamboats began to make regular trips up the St. Johns River to Lake Monroe. Visitors and residents began settling into the state, and a community developed on the shores of Lake Monroe at the steamboat landing. The city currently known as "Deltona" was founded in 1962, when the Mackle Brothers purchased 17,203 acres, and filed a planned unit development for a community of 35,143 lots. The name chosen for the city is a portmanteau of two nearby cities: DeLand ("Del-") and Daytona ("-tona"). Construction began immediately, and the first residents settled in April of 1963, and by the end of that year, Deltona had a population of 180 people comprising seventy-eight families. In 1970, the U.S. Census recorded 4,868 inhabitants, and the population had reached 15,710 by 1980. The growth of the community continued at the rate of 130 new families per month to reach more than 52,000 people by 1991. The city was officially incorporated as a city on December 31, 1995.
The first inhabitants of southwest Volusia County were nomadic Timucuans who found fish and fresh water plentiful in the area. After Florida became a state in 1845, steamboats began to make regular trips up the St. Johns River to Lake Monroe. A man named George Sauls, along with his wife Adeline and six children, were the first settlers in the city now called Deltona in 1859. The area, called Saulsville at the time, was about three miles north of Osteen. Sauls' homestead, which caught on fire in 1970, was on what is now George Sauls Street in Deltona. Up until the year 2000, when a house was built on the site, there was a historical marker that read: