Cave Spring, GA
Cave Spring is a city in Floyd County, Georgia, United States. It is located 12.24 miles (19.70 km) south of Rome, Georgia. The population was 975 at the 2000 census. It is part of the 'Rome, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area'. The name of town was named after its cave and water spring hence "Cave Spring". The cave has impressive stalagmites and the legendary "Devil's Stool". It is located in Rolater Park. The spring water has won awards for purity and taste. Many visitors bring jugs to fill at the spring and take home for drinking.
Cave Spring is located at 34°6′32″N 85°20′10″W / 34.10889°N 85.33611°W / 34.10889; -85.33611 (34.108912, -85.336018). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.0 square miles (10.4 km²), of which, 4.0 square miles (10.4 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (0.50%) is water.
Cave Spring is well known for the natural wonders of the cave and spring site where native Indians came to the area (both Cherokee and earlier Mississippian culture). Legend has it that tribal meetings and games used to be held at the site. In 1839, Cave Spring was formed as a small town; founded by Baptists who were among the early settlers. The cave and spring site is now the part of Rolater Park formerly used by educational institutions such as Cave Spring Manual Labor School (renamed Hearn Academy) and others including Georgia School for the Deaf. During the American Civil War of 1864 by following Atlanta campaign, both Confederate and Union troops came to Cave Spring for hospitalization and rest from fighting on the battlefields before Atlanta.