About This Place
Guyton is a city in Effingham County, Georgia, United States. The population was 917 at the 2000 census, although a 2008 estimate by the Census Bureau places the population above 1,900. Guyton is part of the Savannah Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Guyton is a small community of almost 2,000 people. Located just 25 miles (40 km) north of Savannah, it is an easy commute for its many citizens who work in Savannah.
While some of the early settlers came from the Savannah area, it seems that most came from North and South Carolina. In 1792 a tract of 250 acres (1.0 km2) of land in the form of a land warrant from Effingham County was issued to Squire Zachariah White. The community became known as Whitesville. The Squire was not married and left no heir when he died in 1838. White had granted a right-of-way to the new Central of Georgia Railway Co., prior to his death. He was buried on his own land, as was the custom then. His grave is in the rear of the present New Providence Church. Years later, a local controversy was started when some of this community tried to have Squire White's grave moved to the new local cemetery. It was never moved.