About This Place
Louisville is a town in Jefferson County, Georgia, United States. It is the former capital of Georgia and is the county seat of Jefferson County. It is located southwest of Augusta on the Ogeechee River, and its population was 2,712 at the 2000 census. Though the town was named for France's King Louis XVI, it is always pronounced English-style, as "Lewis-ville."
Louisville was laid out in 1786 as a prospective state capital. It was named for Louis XVI, who at that time was still reigning. It was named after him because of his recent help to the American Revolution. Construction on the city began later, and its state buildings were completed in 1795. The town of Louisville served as the state capital of Georgia from 1796 to 1806.
Louisville's historic market house still stands in the center of downtown. The original market sold everything from household goods to slaves. The market square became the hub of the transportation routes that centered on Louisville when the state capital was located there.