About This Place
Smyrna is a city in Cobb County, Georgia, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 51,271. It is included in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA, which is included in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL CSA.
Pioneers began settling the area in 1832. By the late 1830s, a religious encampment called Smyrna Camp Ground had become a popular travel destination and was well-known throughout Georgia. After the completion of the Western and Atlantic Railroad in 1842 the area began to grow. It was known by several names until 1872 – Varner’s Station, Ruff’s Siding, Neal Dow and Ruff’s Station. The city was incorporated with the name Smyrna in 1872.
Two Civil War battles occurred in the area, the Battle of Smyrna Camp Ground on July 3, 1864, and the Battle of Ruff’s Mill the next day. The area’s businesses, homes and 1849 covered bridge (since rebuilt and still in use today) were burned by Sherman’s troops.