Washington (originally called Heard's Fort) is a city in Wilkes County, Georgia, United States. The population was 4,295 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat of Wilkes County. The city is often referred to as Washington-Wilkes by locals, distinguishing it from any other Washington in the United States.
Washington has a number of restored antebellum, Victorian, and colonial homes along the narrow, tree-lined streets. Washington claims to have more antebellum homes per capita than any other city of its size in Georgia. Several sites in Washington are on the National Register of Historic Places including the Wilkes County Courthouse, the Robert Toombs State Historic Site, and the Mary Willis Library, known for its Victorian architecture and original Tiffany stained glass windows, and for being the first free public library in the state.
Also on the list are The Washington-Wilkes Historical Museum , and the recently restored Fitzpatrick Hotel built in 1899.