Kalona is a city in Washington County, Iowa, United States. It is part of the Iowa City, Iowa Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 2,293 at the 2000 census.
Amish settlement in what is now the Kalona area began in the 1840s, placing the Amish among the very first European settlers in the area. Other Amish groups came later. The Beachy Amish, for example, first arrived in the 1920s.
The Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern Railway built a 66-mile branch from Iowa City to What Cheer via Kalona in 1879 Kalona was established by the railroad on August 6, 1879. The name was suggested to the railroad by a Mr. Myers, who owned a bull of that name. The town remained unincorporated until 1890.