About This Place
Marshalltown is a city in and the county seat ofMarshall County, Iowa, United States. The population was 27,552 in the 2010 census, an increase from the 26,009 population in the 2000 census.
Henry Anson was the first white settler to the area now known as Marshalltown. In April 1851 Henry Anson found what he called “the prettiest place in Iowa.” On a high point between the Iowa River and Linn Creek Henry Anson built a log cabin. A plaque at 112 West Main Street marks the site of the cabin. Anson’s plan was for the area to become a town. In 1853 Anson named the town Marshall, after Marshall, Michigan, a former residence of his.
The town’s name was changed to Marshalltown in 1862 because another Marshall, Iowa already existed. With the help of Potawatomi chief Johnny Green, Henry Anson persuaded early settlers to stay in the area. In the mid 1850’s Henry Anson donated land for a county courthouse to be built. Residents donated money for the building’s construction. In 1863 the title of county seat was transferred from the village of Marietta to Marshalltown. The young town began to grow. By 1900, Marshalltown was home to 10,000 residents. Many industries began to develop in Marshalltown, such as Fisher Controls, Lennox International and Marshalltown Company.