Pacific Junction, IA
Pacific Junction is a city in Mills County, Iowa, United States. The population was 507 at the 2000 census.
"PJ" was established by the railroad in 1871 to serve as the western terminus of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad, the eastern terminus of the Nebraska Burlington & Missouri River RR, and a station on the Kansas City, Council Bluffs, & Saint Joseph Railroad. All three were consolidated as part of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, today's BNSF. After several rough and tumble years of growth Pacific Junction was incorporated in 1882. The scene of violence during the railroad strikes of 1888, PJ's population peaked during the early 20th century with just over 700 people. Railroad traffic through town remains almost constant although the town's connections to the railroad have declined significantly since 1971. Historic structures include the 1914 Pacific Junction Public School which graduated its last high school class in 1961 and closed for good in 1986.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.0 km²), all of it land.