Sac City, IA
Sac City is a city in and the county seat of Sac County, Iowa, United States, located in the rolling hills along the valley of the North Raccoon River, in one of America's prime agricultural regions. U.S. Route 20 bisects the city, forming its Main Street, and the city is one of 45 designated Main Street Iowa communities through the Main Street Iowa development program. The population was 2,220 in the 2010 census, a decline from the 2,368 population in the 2000 census.
Sac City was first platted in 1855 by Joshua Keith Powell of Fort Dodge, Iowa. The town was so named because the Sac and Fox Indians (sometimes known as the Sauk and Fox - the French name "Sac" and the English equivalent "Sauk" are both correct and interchangeable. Both words were derived from the Indian word "Asakiwaki", meaning "yellow earth people") were in possession of the land at the time of the Louisiana Purchase. The City of Sac City was incorporated nineteen years later, in 1874.
Judge Eugene Criss, credited with being the father of Sac City, left Wisconsin and crossed the Mississippi River in the early months of 1855 by covered wagon. He was in search of waterpower and had the desire to establish a settlement in a new and untried country. Deciding upon the North Raccoon River to begin his settlement, Judge Criss proceeded to erect the first log cabin in Sac City, establish himself in the hotel business, as well as keep a stage station and general store for nearby settlers.