Windsor Heights, IA
Windsor Heights is a city in Polk County, Iowa, United States. The population was 4,805 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Des Moines–West Des Moines Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Windsor Heights incorporated as a city on July 19, 1941. It was named for nearby Windsor Elementary School in Des Moines; the school was named for early settler Henry Clay Windsor, whose family donated land for the school. In 1958 Windsor Heights annexed the neighboring community of Crestwood, which added roughly 1,300 people to the city and established the city's present boundaries.
Although Windsor Heights is primarily a residential community, some "big-box" retailers have opened stores here, including Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, and Hy-Vee.