About This Place
Craigmont is a city in Lewis County, Idaho, United States. The population was 556 at the 2000 census.
The city is named for Colonel William Craig (1809–69), a mountain man and Idaho's first permanent white settler in Lapwai in 1838. A town named "Chicago", one mile west of the current Craigmont, was founded in 1898. In response to not getting their mail from the Post Office, it was renamed "Ilo" four years later, in honor of a local merchant's daughter. A fire burnt the town in 1904 and shortly thereafter the Camas Prairie Railroad bypassed the town and started a settlement of its own, a mile east and called "Vollmer", on the northeast side of the railroad tracks. Ilo responded and moved its community to the southwest side of the tracks, adjacent to Vollmer. After a decade-long feud and the consolidation of the school districts, the communities merged in 1920 to become Craigmont.
Craigmont is located at 46°14′32″N 116°28′14″W / 46.24222°N 116.47056°W / 46.24222; -116.47056 (46.242240, -116.470545), on the Camas Prairie. Located within the Nez Perce Indian Reservation, it lies at an altitude of 3,740 feet (1,140 m).