About This Place
Beckemeyer is a village in Wade Township, Clinton County, Illinois, United States. The population was 1,043 at the 2000 census.
Samuel B. Watkins was reported to be the first settler in the area around 1817. Beckemeyer began as a way station on the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad. It was organized and laid out in 1866 and originally named "Buxton" in honor of a railroad attorney.
"Buxton" was renamed "Beckemeyer" after an election held in 1905. The first school and bank were opened in 1906.