About This Place
Hanna City is a village in Peoria County, Illinois, United States. The population was 1,013 at the 2000 census. Hanna City is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Hanna City was founded in 1882 and named after William Hanna (born 1827), who was president of the Peoria-Farmington Railroad, which ran through Hanna City. While originally a farming community, coal was soon discovered under the town. The coal mine was a major factor in the early years of the town and kept it thriving for more than half a century. The main coal mine shaft was near the intersection of Second St and the railroad. Remnants of the coal mine can still be found, e.g., air shaft near old Grade School. Hanna City is also the home to the famous restaurant Gils.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,013 people, 398 households, and 300 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,123.8 people per square mile (814.8/km²). There were 437 housing units at an average density of 916.2 per square mile (351.5/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.24% White, 0.39% African American, 0.20% Native American, 1.18% Asian, 0.69% from other races, and 0.30% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.09% of the population.