About This Place
Lincolnshire is a village in the Vernon Township region of Lake County, in the U.S. state of Illinois. The village is a suburb of Chicago, a city in the adjacent Cook County. Its population was 6,108 at the time of the 2000 census. Lincolnshire was incorporated on August 5, 1957, from the unincorporated Half Day area when land was purchased to build a residential subdivision. The community underwent an aggressive era of expansion from 1983 to the 1990s. The Des Plaines River bisects the village, passing from north to south; Illinois Route 22 also divides the village into two parts, crossing the village from east to west.
Lincolnshire is home to the public secondary Adlai E. Stevenson High School institution and the schools that compose the elementary Lincolnshire-Prairie View School District 103. It serves as the headquarters for corporations including the global outsourcing company Aon Hewitt, and is the base of operations for the Newman-Haas Racing team. The village of Lincolnshire hosts several annual festivals (including one mirroring the Taste of Chicago) in either commercial establishments such as City Park or the Village Green, or in one of its nine public parks. Additionally, the village maintains a police department that closely collaborates with its local school districts. Lincolnshire manages a public works system at the direct expense of the village; it retrieves all of its water from the city of Highland Park, which derives its water from adjacent Lake Michigan. The village has a council-manager government and is a home-rule municipality. The mayor of Lincolnshire is Brett Blomberg.
The first inhabitants of what would become the village of Lincolnshire were Native American Potawatomi migrants from Canada and Wisconsin. The tribesmen left these northern places in the 16th century in search of a warmer, more temperate climate. The first Europeans to visit Lake County were the French Jesuit explorers Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet. Shortly after arriving in 1673 at the site of what later became Waukegan, they sailed down the Des Plaines River and made contact with the local Potawatomi, who would dominate the area by 1768. One of the Potawatomi villages that they encountered stretched along the west bank of the Des Plaines River, from what later became Illinois Route 22 south to Aptakisic Road, the first real settlement in the Lincolnshire and Half Day region.