About This Place
Northbrook is a village located at the northern edge of Cook County, Illinois, which is also a North Shore suburb of Chicago. The population was 33,170 at the 2010 census.
When incorporated in 1901, the village was known as Shermerville in honor of Frederick Schermer, who donated the land for its first train station. The village changed its name to Northbrook in 1923 as an effort to improve its public image. The name was chosen because the west fork of the north branch of the Chicago River runs through the Village.
Glenbrook North High School, founded in 1953 as Glenbrook High School, is located in Northbrook. The village is also home to Northbrook Court shopping mall, the Ed Rudolph Velodrome, and the Northbrook Public Library.