Winnetka is an affluent village located approximately 14 miles (23 km) north of downtown Chicago in Cook County, Illinois. In 2007, Winnetka was ranked by CNN Money as having the 4th highest median household income in the country.
The first houses were built in 1836. That year Erastus Patterson and his family arrived from Vermont and opened a tavern to service passengers on the Green Bay Trail post road. The village was first subdivided in 1854 by Charles Peck and Walter S. Gurnee, President of Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad. Winnetka's first school opened in 1856. The town was incorporated in 1869 with a population of 450.
The oldest surviving house in Winnetka is the Schmidt-Burnham House. It was relocated in the 2003 from its previous location on Tower Road to the Crow Island Woods.