About This Place
Clayton is a small town in Liberty Township, Hendricks County, Indiana, United States located on State Road 39, between Danville, Plainfield and Mooresville with easy access to Interstate 70. The population was 972 at the 2010 Census.
In 1829 a little town in Liberty Township was named Clayville, honoring Henry Clay, the Kentucky statesman. In 1835, Clayville consisted of ten houses and 43 people. The Town of Clayville was platted in 1851 by George Washington Wills. However, the name was changed to Clayton in 1858 because another Clayville already existed in Dubois County.
The first two houses in Clayton were built by Thomas Potts and Lewis T. Pounds, and Parker & Foote was the first store. George Wills built the first hotel and John Miles and James Worrell developed the first flouring mill. The first train passed through in 1852. By the early 1900s, the town had electric service, supplied by the Danville Light, Heat and Power Co.