About This Place
Fremont is a town in Fremont Township, Steuben County, Indiana, United States. The population was 2,138 at the 2010 census. Settled in 1834 as Willow Prairie, it became the Village of Brockville when it was platted in 1837. In 1848, it was renamed to honor John C. Frémont, "the Great Pathfinder", in part because there was already a Brockville in Indiana.
In 1914, the first hospital in Steuben County was opened in Fremont by Dr. Wade.
Fremont is located at 41°43′52″N 84°55′57″W / 41.73111°N 84.9325°W / 41.73111; -84.9325, four miles east of the interchange between Interstate 69 and the Indiana Toll Road (Interstate 80/90) on State Road 120.