About This Place
Hamilton is a town located on the border of Steuben County, Indiana and DeKalb County, Indiana. In Steuben County, it is in Otsego Township, and in DeKalb County it is in Franklin Township. The population was 1,532 at the 2010 census.
In the late 1830s, the land that present-day Hamilton was built on was sold by the owner Niconar Munson to Dr. Samuel Tuttle, who was the first to plat the town. The original name of the town was "Enterprise". Dr. Tuttle went to New York shortly thereafter, where he met Fisher Howe, president of a syndicate of capitalists. Dr. Tuttle sold all but one-sixteenth of the plat to him for $15,000. In the spring of 1838, Howe sent Sidney Gambia, an agent, to Enterprise to sell goods and develop the settlement. However, Enterprise was heavily-ladened with illness that year, to such an extent that is became known for it. To improve the settlement's reputation, the name was changed to Hamilton. Eventually the town was sold to Sidney Gambia for $1 (and for other terms), and the name was officially recorded as the Town of Hamilton in 1844.
Hamilton is located at 41°32′5″N 84°54′59″W / 41.53472°N 84.91639°W / 41.53472; -84.91639 (41.534845, -84.916515).