About This Place
Rossville is a town in Ross Township, Clinton County, Indiana, United States. The population was 1,653 at the 2010 census. The town is named for John Ross, a pioneer settler and associate county judge.
In 1832, Thomas Ewing, with his wife and infant child, settled on 160 acres (0.65 km2) of land north of what is now Main Street in Rossville, Indiana. In 1834, Mr. Ewing and Thomas Smith platted the town of Rossville with the intention of starting a blacksmith shop at the location. The town grew steadily and gained a store operated by William Seawright, a saddler (John H. Smith) and a physician (Dr. James Wilson). Residents of Rossville are referred to as "Rossvillians." Due to it's quaint size some locals jokingly refer to the town as "Ros Vegas" or "Ros Angeles."
A petition to incorporate the town was filed on October 22, 1870, at which time the town had 339 residents and 66 families. The incorporation election, held November 5, passed with a vote of 35 to 19 and on December 1, 1870, Rossville was incorporated.