About This Place
Linwood is a city in Leavenworth County, Kansas, United States, about 15 miles (24 km) east of Lawrence. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 375.
Linwood was founded as "Journeycake," being named after Charles Journeycake, the last Delaware chief. (Sometimes people made fun of the name Journeycake by calling it "Johnny Cake".) The town was platted on both sides of Stranger Creek, near its mouth at the Kansas River.
In May 1860, a treaty was signed at Sarcoxieville, 3 miles (4.8 km) northeast of Linwood, by Chief Sarcoxie of the Delaware and by the United States. After the treaty's signature, each member of the tribe was assigned a parcel of land, and the balance of the tribe's territories were sold to the predecessor of the Union Pacific Railroad. Meanwhile, the U.S. government established a trading post near Stranger Creek until the tribe was moved to the Indian Territory in 1867. Located beside the Union Pacific Railroad tracks, the store became the town’s first school.