About This Place
Dixon is a city in Webster County, Kentucky, United States. The population was 632 at the 2000 census. Dixon, the county seat of Webster county, is located at the junction of US 41A and KY 132. It was established in 1860 when the county was formed. The Court House post office opened in 1860.
Revolutionary War veteran William Jenkins in 1794 established a stagecoach inn five miles north of the town's present site, on the old Indian trail between Nashville and St. Louis.
The town was incorporated on February 6, 1861 and was named Archibald Dixon, lieutenant governor of the state from 1844 to 1848 and U.S. Senator from 1852 to 1855). The notorious Harpe brothers, murderous outlaws, terrorized the area in the late 18th century.