Junction City, KY
Junction City is a city in Boyle County, Kentucky on the border with Lincoln County in the United States. Its population was 2,184 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Danville Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Junction City began when the Louisville and Nashville Railroad reached the area. It was originally known as Goresburgh for the proprietors of the Gore Hotel. The Gore post office opened in 1880, was renamed Goresburgh in 1882, and then immediately renamed Junction City, as the Cincinnati Southern Railway had reached town. The Louisville and Nashville station there was known as Danville Junction.
The southeastern part of Junction City was once the separate town of Shelby City, named to honor Isaac Shelby, who lived nearby. A South Danville post office opened there in 1866, was renamed Shelby City in 1867, and closed in 1926. The L&N station in the town was known as Danville Station and the town was also known as Briartown.