About This Place
Perryville is a historical city in western Boyle County, Kentucky, United States. The population was 763 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Danville Micropolitan Statistical Area.
The precursor to modern-day Perryville was Harbeson's Station, a fort alongside the Chaplin River, settled during the final stages of the American Revolution. This fort, founded by James Harbeson and a group of settlers from Virginia, was strategically placed near a cave and spring. When troubles with local Indians arose, they fled across the water and into the cave to seek shelter from attack. The cave, which can still be viewed today, formed the settlers' first line of defense.
Prospering as a farming community for decades, shortly after the War of 1812 two men named Edward Bullock and William Hall organized plans to build a village along the river near the original fort. Bullock and Hall named the village Perryville in honor of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, hero of the Battle of Lake Erie. In the late 1830s, a line of buildings next to the Chaplin River formed the basis of the village of Perryville. Now called "Merchants' Row," these buildings still stand.