About This Place
Russell Springs is the largest city in Russell County, Kentucky, United States. The area has thrived since the 1850s as a health resort because of its location near a chalybeate spring. The town itself was founded in 1850 by Samuel Patterson and was referred to as Big Boiling Springs. The post office was first established on May 17, 1855, and named "Kimble", in honor leading businessman of George Kimble. In 1901 the town was renamed Russell Springs. The population was 2,399 at the 2000 census.
Russell Springs is located at 37°3′17″N 85°4′52″W / 37.05472°N 85.08111°W / 37.05472; -85.08111 (37.054853, -85.081162).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.6 square miles (11.9 km²), all of it land.