About This Place
Milton (pronounced /mɪltən/) is an unincorporated community in Lafayette Parish, in the U.S. state of Louisiana. Milton is part of the Lafayette Metropolitan Statistical Area.
It is unknown when the village of Milton was first settled. Old land claims show that much of the town is on land once owned by Bernard, son of Ashnoya, a chief of the Attakapas Indians. The area served as a river crossing and a trade center for the farms and cattle ranches that lined both sides of the Vermilion River.
The earliest settlers were Acadian families. Early Acadian landowners in the area included Francois Broussard, son of Joseph Broussard dit Beausoleil; Jean Bernard; Pierre Vincent; Michel Meaux; Jean-Baptiste Trahan; and Joseph Boudreaux. Jean-Jacques Denais operated a ferry at the townsite in the early 19th century. Désiré Broussard and Jean-Baptiste Montet settled there by 1823. Anselm Thibodeaux, who settled on land on the east bank of the river, cultivated it for at least 20 years prior to the Louisiana Purchase in 1803. Anselm's Coulee, named for him, runs through the area.