Morgan City, LA
Morgan City (previously known as Brashear City) is a city in St. Martin and St. Mary parishes in the U.S. state of Louisiana. The population was 12,404 at the 2010 census.
The St. Mary Parish portion of Morgan City is part of the Morgan City Micropolitan Statistical Area, while the small St. Martin Parish portion is part of the Lafayette Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Morgan City sits on the banks of the Atchafalaya River. Morgan City was originally called Tiger Island by surveyors appointed by U.S. Secretary of War John Calhoun because of a particular type of wild cat seen in the area. It was later called Brashear City after Walter Brashear, a prominent Kentucky physician who purchased large tracts of land and acquired numerous sugar mills. It was incorporated in 1860 as Brashear City and in 1876, the community's name was changed to Morgan City in tribute to Charles Morgan, rail and steamship magnate who first dredged the Atchafalaya Bay Ship Channel to accommodate ocean-going vessels. This site was the larger of two works erected to defend Morgan City, then Brashear City and a Federal military depot, Star Fort, also known as Fort Brashear. On the night of June 22, 1863, 325 Confederates of Gen. A.A. Mouton's command landed their skiffs and flats in rear of the town. Attacking the next day, they captured the garrison of 700 Federals and immense military stores, while suffering losses of only 3 killed, 18 wounded.