Auburndale is one of the 13 villages of Newton, Massachusetts. It lies at the western end of Newton near the intersection of interstate highways 90 and 95, and is bisected by the Massachusetts Turnpike. Auburndale is surrounded by three other Newton villages (West Newton, Waban, and Newton Lower Falls) as well as the city of Waltham and the town of Weston. Auburndale is the home of Williams and Burr elementary schools, as well as Lasell College. Auburndale Square is the location of the Plummer Memorial Library, which is run by the Auburndale Community Library and no longer affiliated with the Newton Free Library, the Turtle Lane Playhouse, and many small businesses.
The first major settler in the area was William Robinson who built a house in 1678 on what is now Freeman Street. The oldest house in Auburndale stands at 473 Auburn Street and was built in 1730 by William Robinson.
Auburndale, once billed as Auburndale-on-the-Charles was the home of Norumbega Park which closed in 1963. The park included rides, a zoo, and boating. The nationally-famous big band venue Totem Pole Ballroom was associated with Norumbega Park and closed in 1964.