About This Place
Pocomoke City, dubbed "the friendliest town on the Eastern Shore", is a city in Worcester County, Maryland, United States. Although renamed in a burst of civic enthusiasm in 1878, the city is regularly referred to by its inhabitants simply as Pocomoke (/poʊkɵmoʊk/). The population was 4,184 at the 2010 census.
Beginning in the late 17th century, a small settlement called Stevens Landing (sometimes Stevens Ferry) grew at the ferry landing on the south bank of the Pocomoke River. The town was incorporated as Newtown (or New Town) in 1865, but was reincorporated in 1878 as Pocomoke City, after the Indian name of the river, meaning “black water.”
Stevens Landing, and then Newtown, remained a modest river crossing until the construction through the town in the 1880s of the trunk railroad line along the Delmarva Peninsula from Wilmington, Delaware, to Cape Charles on the Eastern Shore of Virginia--the line eventually became part of the Pennsylvania Railroad. In addition to agriculture, industry such as lumber milling and ship-building and, in the 20th century, factories making barrels and baskets for truck crops, and the canning of those crops, aided the town's growth.