About This Place
Guilford is a town in Piscataquis County, Maine, United States. The town is located on the Piscataquis River and was first settled in 1806. The population was 1,531 at the 2000 census.
In 1803, Rev. Robert Low and Deacon Robert Herring of New Gloucester purchased several thousand acres in the area from Bowdoin College. The town itself was first settled on February 18, 1806. On October 8, 1812, a warrant was issued for the tract to be designated a "plantation," which became effective on November 11, 1806. The town was officially incorporated by the governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on February 8, 1816. It was named after Moses Guilford Law, the first white child born here.
The town served as the birthplace of Guilford of Maine, currently one of the world's largest producers of panel cloth.