About This Place
North Berwick is a town in York County, Maine, United States. The population was 4,576 at the 2010 census. North Berwick includes Bauneg Beg Pond, a recreation area.
North Berwick is part of the Portland–South Portland–Biddeford, Maine metropolitan statistical area.
Originally a part of Kittery called Kittery Commons, the area was first settled in 1693 by John Morrell, a Quaker who built a log cabin on Wells Street. It was set off from Kittery in 1713 as part of Berwick, named for Berwick-upon-Tweed on the Anglo-Scottish border. Doughty Falls in the Great Works River provided water power for a sawmill, gristmill and carding mill. After the Revolutionary War, the small mill town grew rapidly. It was set off and incorporated as North Berwick on March 22, 1831.