About This Place
Columbiaville is a village in Lapeer County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 815 at the 2000 census. The village is within Marathon Township on the Flint River.
The first settler on the site of the village was Levi D. Cutting, a carpenter and cabinet maker by trade, who arrived with his family in 1847. His home in Columbiaville is still standing at the south corner of Water and Lapeer Streets. In 1848, George and Henry Niver built a saw mill on the banks of the Flint River and the place became known as "Niverville". William Peter, a neighbor of the Nivers from their previous residence in Columbia County, New York came to work in the Niver's sawmill. By 1852, he opened his own business, starting with a store. He eventually came into possession of the entire property of Columbiaville.
A post office was established in April 1857 with the name "Columbiaville". The Nivers originally suggested the name "Columbia" after their home county in New York, but at the time there was already another post office in Michigan with that name.