About This Place
Highland Park is a city in Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 11,776 at the 2010 census The city is completely surrounded by Detroit except a small portion that touches the city of Hamtramck, which is also surrounded by Detroit.
The area that was to become Highland Park began as a small farming community, on a large ridge, six miles north of Detroit in the early 19th century. In 1818, prominent Detroit judge Augustus B. Woodward bought the ridge, and platted the village of Woodwardville in 1825. The development of the village failed. Another Detroit judge, Benjamin F.H. Witherell, son of Michigan Supreme Court justice James Witherell, attempted to found a village on this site in 1836, but this plan also failed.
By 1873, the settlement was given a post office under the name of Whitewood. After a succession of closures and reopenings of the rural post office, the settlement was finally incorporated as a village within Greenfield Township and Hamtramck Township under the name of Highland Park in 1889.