Interlochen is a town in Northwest Lower Michigan. The town is noted for the internationally-renowned Interlochen Center for the Arts.
Before the arrival of European settlers, members of the Odawa tribe lived between the lakes they called Wahbekaness and Wahbekanetta (now named Duck Lake and Green Lake, respectively). Beginning in the late 19th century, European settlers began logging and fishing industries in the area. As the lumber industry grew, the area became more deforested, until in 1917 the State of Michigan purchased the remaining virgin pines and created Interlochen State Park, the first state park in Michigan. In 1928, the National Music Camp was founded at Interlochen and evolved to become Interlochen Center for the Arts, which still includes a summer camp as well as a winter fine arts boarding high school and public radio station.
As the name suggests, Interlochen is situated between the two lakes of the original Odawa settlement. It is approximately 14 miles southwest of Traverse City at 44°38′41″N 85°46′02″W / 44.64472°N 85.76722°W / 44.64472; -85.76722, and sits at an elevation of 841 feet above sea level. The FIPS place code is 40800.