About This Place
Powers is a village in Menominee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 430 at the 2000 census. It was named for John Powers, a bookkeeper for a logging company that came into the area in the late 19th century.
At an early date the place was called Menominee River Junction, because here was the junction between the main line, and the Menominee River Branch."
Another source, "A history of the origin of the place names connected with the Chicago & North Western and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha railways (1908, p115)" claims the village was named after "Edward Powers, a civil engineer engaged in constructing the railroad there." The book titled, "Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More Than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities" by Walter Romig (p457) claims the village was named for Edward Powers.