About This Place
Reese is a village in Tuscola and Saginaw counties in the U.S. state of Michigan. Located almost entirely in Tuscola County's Denmark Township, the village includes only a tiny portion of Blumfield Township in Saginaw County. The population was 1,375 at the 2000 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.1 square miles (3.0 km²), all land.
The area of what is Reese today was first settled in 1865 when Mrs. Louisa Woodruff and her son built the first home (near the current intersection of Reese Rd and Saginaw Rd.) The Saginaw-Watrousville plank road was opened in 1871 which increased access to the community from Saginaw and the surrounding area. In 1873 the Detroit and Bay City railroads were built and Hudson B. Blackman plotted a tract of land adjacent to the original community (near the current intersection of Saginaw St and Meridian St.)and named it Reese in honor of G.W. Reese the Railroad superintendent. (Hudson B. Blackman was probably the source of Hudson St.)