About This Place
Sheridan is a village in Montcalm County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 705 at the 2000 census. The village is located at the corners of four townships and incorporates land from each: Evergreen Township to the northeast, Bushnell Township to the southeast, Fairplain Township to the southwest, and Sidney Township to the northwest.
In 1851, Louis Lovell recorded an entry for land here and John W. Winsor built the first business, a sawmill. A shingle-mill owner, Erastus P. Brown, became the first postmaster here on October 14, 1864. It was a station on the Toledo, Saginaw and Muskegon Railway. Sheridan incorporated as a village in 1877 and was named for Union Civil War General Philip Sheridan.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.0 square miles (2.5 km²), of which, 0.9 square miles (2.4 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (5.15%) is water.