About This Place
Stanton is a city in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 1,504. It is the county seat of Montcalm County. It is located at the corners of four townships and incorporates land from each: Day Township to the northeast, Evergreen Township to the southeast, Sidney Township to the southwest, and Douglass Township to the northwest.
Stanton was organized in 1860 when the people of Montcalm County voted to move the county seat here from Greenville, which was the original county seat since 1840. At that time, the County Board purchased 40 acres (160,000 m2) from Fred Hall of Ionia and named the city "Fred" in his honor. The family of Levi Camburn was the first to settle here and he became its first postmaster on March 10, 1862. The city was renamed for Secretary of War, Edwin M. Stanton in 1863. Stanton was platted in 1865, incorporated as a village in 1869, and as a city in 1881.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.5 km²), all land.