Stockbridge is a village in Stockbridge Township, Ingham County in the U.S. state of Michigan, and lies 36.4 miles (58.58 kilometers) from downtown Lansing, Michigan. The population was 1,260 at the 2000 census.
The area that is now Stockbridge was originally settled in 1835 by Elijah Smith and Herman Lowe. The town was originally named Perkins by Elijah Smith, after his hometown in the state of New York. In 1838, the town was renamed Stockbridge after the township, and formally incorporated as a village in 1889.
Stockbridge was part of a vegetable growing region once known as "the salad bowl," which attracted large numbers of farm workers from Kentucky in the 1930s. Many of these families remain in Stockbridge today and it is common for Stockbridge natives to quip that 'everyone in this town is related.' The first vegetable farmer to move to Stockbridge was Veril Baldwin in 1934.