About This Place
Creve Coeur, derived from French for "heartbreak" (Crève Cœur), is a second-ring suburb of St. Louis, located in west St. Louis County, Missouri, United States. The city derives its name from Creve Coeur Lake, which is shaped like a broken heart. The population was 16,500 at the 2000 census. Creve Coeur borders and shares a ZIP code with the neighboring city of Town and Country, Missouri.
Written accounts and archaeological finds show that Native Americans inhabited the Creve Coeur area from 9500 B.C. to 1800 A.D. French explorers began farming and fishing in the area in the early 18th century and furtrappers settled there in the early 19th century. When the area was acquired by the United States through the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, the Lewis and Clark Expedition came through Creve Coeur. During the American Civil War, men from the area served on both sides of the conflict, but most residents were southern sympathizers.
Creve Coeur was incorporated by St. Louis in 1949. Although there are cabins that are more than 200 years old (including two still in Conway Park) in the community, it grew primarily as a stopping point along Olive Boulevard between University City, Missouri and Creve Coeur Lake. It expanded faster following construction of Interstate 270 and U.S. Route 40.