About This Place
Forsyth is a city in Taney County, Missouri, United States. The population was 1,686 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Taney County. The town is part of the Branson, Missouri Micropolitan Statistical Area
Forsyth is located at 36°41′12″N 93°6′46″W / 36.68667°N 93.11278°W / 36.68667; -93.11278 (36.686675, -93.112728). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.3 km²), of which, 2.0 square miles (5.3 km²) of it is land and 0.49% is water.
From the beginning of the Civil War, Forsyth was seized and controlled by Confederate forces. The county courthouse was used as their headquarters and storage depot. On 22 July 1861, Brigadier General Sweeney and 1,200 Union troops with artillery converged upon Forsyth to expel the Rebels. Rebel forces withdrew from Forsyth but returned as soon as the Union troops departed. On 10 April 1862, Confederate forces once more were forced to flee Forsyth when Major General Curtis and his advanced guard from the Union Army arrived in town. Union forces occupied Forsyth for several days before moving on to Batesville, Arkansas, leaving Forsyth undamaged. Again, Rebel forces returned and set up their headquarters in Forsyth. Following the Battle of Prairie Grove, the Union Army moved back in to Forsyth, where they remained for several months. Because of the threat of Rebel attacks, Union troops used logs from the town's dwelling to fortify their defenses. On 22 April 1863 Union forces left Forsyth, firing the town to ensure that their fortifications did not fall into Rebel hands. When the fires died out all that remained of Forsyth was the burned-out shell of the big brick courthouse. The courthouse was eventually rebuilt. Finally, on 19 December 1885, during the reign of the Bald Knobbers, the courthouse was totally destroyed along with all official records of the county and those of the only county newspaper. A new Taney County courthouse would not be constructed until 1890.