About This Place
Green City is a city in Sullivan County, Missouri, United States. The population was 657 at the 2010 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.8 km²), of which, 1.4 square miles (3.7 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (1.38%) is water.
Green City traces its beginnings to April, 1880 when Sullivan County farmer Henry Pfeiffer commissioned surveyor Thomas J. Dockery to lay out the town in what had previously been a cornfield. The town plat consisted of fifty lots, each 60-by-130 feet. The impetus for the town was the Quincy, Missouri & Pacific railway, which laid tracks close by in the early 1880s. A rail depot was built with donations from area farmers, and in 1881 C. B. Comstock built a store and warehouse. Around the same time a small frame building was moved from the nearby village of Kiddville by S.H. Davis who used it as a post office when he became Green Citys' first postmaster. Green City was officially incorporated on February 10, 1882.