About This Place
Kingdom City is a village in Callaway County, Missouri, United States. It is part of the Jefferson City, Missouri Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 121 at the 2000 census. It is at the intersection of Interstate 70 (overlaid on and concurrent with U.S. Route 40) and U.S. Route 54.
Kingdom City has its origins in the building of US Route 40 in 1925, at the same time US Route 54 was being planned with the intention of intersecting US 40 somewhere along the route. The city of Fulton had hoped for US 40 to go from Columbia through Fulton and intersect US 54 in their city, but the final decision had the highways intersect in what would become Kingdom City, which was then just a rural farm and forested area south of McCredie. McCredie residents fought so hard for the highway that they staged a parade through the heart of Fulton with banners that read "54-40 or Fight". When the road was being built and huge numbers of workers were brought in to do the work McCredie became a boom town with future Kingdom City receiving its first gas station and a two-story hotel. The hotel would burn down in 1930 however.
Since the area had no name at the time the intersection was referred to only as the "Y", with people in Fulton wanting to name it North Fulton and the people in McCredie naming it South McCredie. The Kingdom Oil Company suggest Kingdom City, in reflection of the nickname for Callaway County. Through the 1920s and 30s numerous dance halls, restaurants, cafes, and hotels would come and go in Kingdom City. In 1965 Gasper's, which became a local landmark, opened. In 1970 the McCredie Post Office moved to Kingdom City and took that community's name, the same year Kingdom City incorporated as a village and included the former unincorporated community of McCredie.