About This Place
Queen City is a city in Schuyler County, Missouri, United States. The population was 598 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Kirksville Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Queen City was laid out in May, 1867 by Doctor George W. Wilson and consisted of a town square surrounded by fifteen other blocks. Dr. Wilson also constructed the first home in the new town, while Henry Bartlett is responsible for building the towns's first hotel. By 1888 Queen City offered a considerable business district -- five general stores, two grocers, two hardware stores, two hotels, jewelry store, lumber yard, photography gallery, music store, and barber shop were just some of the businesses serving the community and surrounding farms. Being located along the railroad, it provided a fine shipping point for large numbers of railroad ties and other lumber products harvested from heavily wooded areas along the Chariton River several miles to the west. Grain, livestock and some quantities of wool were also shipped by rail from the town. Queen City's first newspaper The Transcript was established in November, 1887 by D.G. Swan.
Queen City is located at 40°24′31″N 92°33′56″W / 40.40861°N 92.56556°W / 40.40861; -92.56556 (40.408622, -92.565586).